Thursday, March 24, 2011

SB. Day 4.

The girlies woke up feeling lazy today.

Actually, so did mama.

They appeared in the kitchen at 9 o'clock, their first real Spring-Break sleep-in.
They didn't feel like baking with me, or dressing up for a photo shoot.
So they vedged.

Actually, so did mama.

Brewed a pot of coffee, and yakked away on the phone and skype.
Made me miss my family.
And John's fresh-brewed caffe lattes.

When I finally got off the couch, I found some yeast in my disastrously disorganized pantry. Should have immediately tackled the mess in there, but I noticed the best before date on the yeast was next month. So, rather than toss it, decided to challenge myself with a yeast recipe. Problem is, though, yeast and I don't typically get along. Every time I attempt a bread recipe with yeast, it turns out like a loaf of cement.

But hey, today I decided to experiment again.

So I found a recipe on the Pioneer Woman's blog for Homemade Cinnamon Bread.

Bent and determined to follow the recipe exactly to a tee, I hoped that maybe, just this once, I would end up with a perfectly risen, light and fluffy, home-baked cinnamon loaf.

If you've ever made yeast recipes before, you'll know they take all day. So, during the rising sessions, I baked some good old wheaten bread. A no-fail recipe for me, since it doesn't require that delusional yeast. Not quite as delicious as my mother's, but turns out fairly good, nonetheless. And it gets eaten up pretty quickly around here... confirmation that it must not taste like cement.


Here's the Cinnamon Bread in the first stages, being dough-hooked to death in my forest green KitchenAid mixer. A wedding present from two of my favorite people. Remember now, Joanne?


Then I put together Stew's birthday cake dessert. But you'll have to wait till tomorrow to see that.

After the first two-hour rise, two cute little helpers appeared in my kitchen, willingly buttering my pan and mixing up cinnamon sugar.


Left for another two hours, then finally baked for 40 minutes. And tada.. the finished product. Looks kinda pretty, doesn't it?


Has a sweet bread texture, but is definitely the most palatable yeast food I've produced so far.

All ready for tomorrow's breakfast.
I'm gonna toast a slice, smother it in butter. Have a coffee.

Saturday's breakfast might just be Cinnamon French Toast. Can you come?

2 comments:

Emily said...

I've pretty much banned yeast from my pantry because I too end up with the cement-esque results, but seeing how beautiful your bread turned out may inspire me to give it another try! Or maybe I'll just hop in the car and come over, so you can do the baking for me! :)

Susanne said...

Oh how I wish you could hop in your car and come over with your two little darlings! Let me know how you do with your yeast inspiration.. my bread tasted fine, but was still not as light and fluffy as I hoped. Not sure I want to attempt it again.. so much work!