Friday, March 11, 2011

Faith.

Faith. One little word that can change so much.

Faith in the God of heaven will not only change your life, but your eternal destiny.
  

FAITH (Hebrews 11)

Faith is our hope in the things unforeseen, and the record in Hebrews eleven,
Tell us of those who were faithful to God, and are now safely with Him in heaven.

The witness of Abel’s faith so long ago when he willingly offered to God,
A sacrifice that was much better by far than his brother Cain’s fruit from the sod.
As blood from that lamb, so carefully chosen, spilled on the altar of stone,
It pointed in faith to the Lamb who would come, for the sins of mankind to atone.

In faith Enoch steadfastly walked with the Lord, and the lesson that I must discern,
Is that daily communion with my Heavenly Father should be my highest concern.
In his day-to-day life Enoch so pleased the Lord, that on earth as he drew his last breath,
He passed from this world to his heavenly home, without the experience of death!

Noah was fearful and faithful to God, while sin all around him was rife,
Selfishness, malice and ungodliness had no part at all in his life.
When God’s warning came for the judgement of sin and subsequent great devastation,
Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord and the ark was his certain salvation.

Abraham journeyed to many strange places, lived most of his life in a tent,
Called to a country that he would inherit, he moved, knowing not where he went.
He looked for a city with lasting foundations, whose builder and maker is God,
His faith clearly seen by his focus on heaven, as life’s daily journey he trod.

Isaac was promised his seed would be countless - much more than the stars in the sky,
And childless he silently waited God’s promise, not questioning how, when or why.
Do unanswered prayers cause me grief and distress? In fear do I face the unknown?
Or like Isaac did, do I boldly trust in the One who is still on the throne?

Jacob, intent on the birthright and blessing, with pottage and goatskin he schemed,
And in fear ran to Bethel, laid down on a stone, where of ladder to heaven he dreamed.
When Jacob awoke from his vision that morning, discerning God was in this place,
In the One who had promised to bless him and lead him, he utterly rested his faith.

Joseph was taunted and tempted and troubled, his faith often tested and tried,
But the laughing and luring and languishing didn’t deter him - on God he relied.
Scorned by his brothers and thrown in a pit, wrongly indicted and jailed,
Living so far from the father who loved him - but faith in the Lord never failed.

Moses grew up in the palace of Pharaoh - abundance of wealth, jurisdiction,
But refusing the pleasures of sin for a time, he chose God and a life of affliction.
Since life here on earth is but fleeting and brief, it appears and departs like a vapour,
I will love not the world with its lust and its pride, but love and serve only my Saviour.

Appointed by God as the leader of Israel, Joshua heeded His word,
To march six days once around Jericho’s walls, the rams’ horns the only noise heard.
Seven times on the seventh day they marched around, and when a loud shout was recorded,
The city walls crumbled, the victory was won, and Joshua’s faith was rewarded.

Rahab in faith turned to Israel’s God, as in peace she received both the spies,
And they promised, when Jericho fell into ruin, to save her from certain demise.
The token was given, and out of her window she dangled that bright scarlet cord,
In confidence waiting and knowing for certain that salvation is of the Lord.

So many faithful whose names aren't recorded, of whom this vain world had no worth;
They suffered through torment; were scourged and afflicted; wandered in caves of the earth;
Withstood fiery furnaces; stopped mouths of lions; yet all noted in this dossier,
Obtained good report for their faith in the One Who was with them each step of the way.

My friend, have you thought about life after death, put your faith in the One Who was given
To suffer God’s wrath for your sin so that you may live with Him forever in heaven?
Or do you choose rather to set faith aside - live for self, and reject His salvation?
May I gently remind you, the scriptures are clear - your end is eternal damnation.

My faith and my hope are in things unforeseen, in a Saviour Who died for my sin.
In each trial in life I will trust only God, for I’ll soon be in heaven with Him.

3 comments:

Emily said...

I love the depth of insight and beauty of this poem! Who wrote it, if you don't mind me asking?

Susanne said...

I did, Em. I've been studying Hebrews 11 with my SS class, so that kinda got me started on it. Glad you enjoyed it!

Emily said...

WOW! I'm very impressed! I used to write poetry when I was younger, but I've been out of the habit a looong time. What an inspiration you are!