Monday, December 27, 2010

The Season of Giving and Getting.

Even though we might be reluctant to admit it, the season has consumed us. All this business of giving and getting. And if you're anything like me, you've maybe gotten such an overload of stuff that you've had a senior's moment and almost forgotten just who gave you what.

But as I sat this morning and remembered the Lord Jesus Who, more than two thousand years ago, died for my sins and rose again the third day, I regrouped my giving and getting thoughts.

I thought of my Heavenly Father, and what He gave.
He gave His Son.

His only begotten Son. Given to be born in the lowliest of earthly places. Given, to grow up in the despised town of Nazareth. Given, to be rejected by His own creation. Given, to suffer for the sins of mankind on the cross of Calvary.

I thought of my Saviour, and what He gave.
He gave His life.

He willingly suffered and gave His life, that I might receive eternal life.

What do I give Him? My time? My thoughts? My focuses? My energies?

By and by when I look on His face,
Beautiful face, thorn-shadowed face;
By and by when I look on His face,
I'll wish I had given Him more.

No comments: