Thursday, July 29, 2010

Lazy Summer Days.

Ah, the joy of summer. Unhurried mornings, long leisurely evenings and everything in between.

So yesterday we made plans to hit the beach at Whiterock for a day of sheer summer laziness. The anticipation of warm sunshine, a balmly ocean breeze and little girls happily playing made me sing as I packed the cooler with goodies for lunch. Loaded up the van, and off we went.

We hauled our stash onto the sand. Set up the chairs. Laid out the blanket. Lathered on the sunscreen. Donned the shades. As I eased myself comfortably into my beach chair, I suddenly realized that this preconceived balmly ocean breeze was not to be. Instead was an uninterrupted chilly wind that yielded goosebumps in all their glory. Brrr. But the sun shone while the girls ran merrily around and swam in the warm ocean. They said it was warm, anyways, I take their word for it. Happy as larks they were, building sandcastles, combing for crabs and searching for all manner of beach debris. And I sat parked. In my beach chair. Goosebump clad. Perservering.

What a sunburn I got! Yikes! Funny that I spent almost three weeks in the tropics of Nicaragua, but never burned once. One day at the beach on Canada's west coast and I'm lobster-like! Even have the dreaded racoon-face, to boot! Awkward. Wish my camera was working, so I could show you. Haha. As if. But you know me and my Irish skin. Pink today, white tomorrow.

And tomorrow is a special day. The littlest lady's birthday. Glad she's feeling better... apart from a persistant cough, she's definitely more herself again. Tomorrow we'll celebrate... eight years old.

No comments: