Saturday, July 17, 2010

DAY 13.

Well, some sort of Nicaraguan bug has invaded, and Kayleigh's got it. Woke up around 6 o'clock this morning with stomach cramps, promptly had bodily fluids exiting both ends, and was looking as white as a sheet. Great, I thought, this is all I need. I'd much rather be sick myself than watch one of the kiddos.

We got her drinking some bottled water, gave her a pill, and now, at 10 o'clock, seems to have revived. She just declared the tummy ache was gone and downed two bowls of cereal. Let's pray the healing process continues!

Last night there was a special bible study at El Valle. A few truck loads came in from Dolores, so the hall was packed out. It's encouraging to see such a large group of new christians so eager for the Word. They served gallopinto when meeting was done... the typical Nicaraguan meal of rice and beans. It was nice to visit with Mitch and Lori Parent and meet their beautiful girls. Hard to believe they've been in Dolores for two years already. They certainly seem very well adjusted to life here.

Nicaragua is a beautiful country, without a doubt. Breath-taking scenery, daily sunshine and friendly people. But, could I live here? Nope. I don't think so. I'd miss Tim Hortons, and the occasional Starbucks. And the unending supply of hot water, coming right out of my tap. And my vacuum. Yup, I'd miss my vacuum and my carpeting. When I get back home next week, I think I'll appreciate carpet from a whole new perspective. Carpet means no hideously gross freak-me-out monster bugs.

And so I now admire, in a much fuller way, my North American family and friends who have sacrificed so much to make this place their home.

No comments: