Monday, July 19, 2010

DAY 14.

Today is Sunday. No sunshine to be found anywhere on this SUNday... nothing but rain, rain and more rain. This is by far the rainiest day yet. It woke me last night, smattering on the roof, like a thousand hammers on a tin can. I lay wide awake, praying that this time it wouldn't come inside the house, or wake the little ladies asleep in the other room. Thankfully, neither happened.

Both little ladies were up at 8 o'clock and in fine form this morning, with no stomach cramps or upchucking or diarrhea or earaches immediately reported to the Complaints Department. Good and good.

Remembered the Lord this morning again at El Valle, with the little group of christians that I have come to love. Even with my limited understanding, I can relate to their thankfulness to God for His Son. They worship with such heartfelt expression. Most of them can't sing worth peanuts though, bless their hearts, but they shout it out with fervour and passion anyways! When meeting is over, everyone goes to each around the group with a "Buenos dias" and shakes hands... such a friendly gesture. Oh how I wish I could just have a basic conversation with some of these lovely christians. Black coffee, leftover gallopinto and bread were served during the break. No sweet bread today, much to my dismay. Hermano Dan was on deck yet again for ministry meeting during Sunday School, and I spent the time flipping through John's English/Spanish dictionary to see what I could teach myself in the space of half an hour. Which wasn't much.

I have been on a daily lookout for Nicaraguan bugs. I guess my obsession stems more from an inner fear of having them take me by surprise, so I'm constantly aware of the fact that they may suddenly appear. And I want to be ready. To be honest, I haven't come across anything dreadfully strange or even life-threatening. Not yet anyways. Daniel, aware of and sharing my fascination, has also been on the hunt for tarantulas and scorpions which are apparently rampant here. So far, no show. But there are some mighty disgusting crawling creepies here, which being God's creation, are also fascinating to observe at the same time. Except as aforementioned, when they suddenly appear and freak me out. Like at the hall this week in El Valle, I'm standing outside, merrily chatting after the meeting, when something black and moving catches my eye. Into view came a monstrous cockroach, yes considerably larger than any I have ever seen in civilized animal confines. And, it was charging right towards me. My vocal defenses immediately registered to this unsightly creature (did you hear me?), and I jumped quickly out of its way. Seriously, this thing was huge... his body at least 3 inches long, with feelers that were certainly another inch long, for sure. Gross, and more gross. Ewww.

Simply put, these Nicaraguan living things are another reason I do not think I could adjust to life here.

1 comment:

Donna-Lynn said...

Just remember, no critters are welcome back to our place in your suitcase :) Glad you're having a good trip and I can't wait to see the rest of your pictures! See you Thursday!