Friday, June 10, 2011

New In-laws.

Maybe you haven't already, but at some point during your earthly existence you will probably gather a few "in-laws" to your family clan.

Sometimes the "in-laws" are branded the "out-laws" from the get-go.

Not mine. Not yet, anyways.

My first acquisition in the "in-laws" department was my pretty "sister-in-law", who bravely chose to join our ranks when she married my brother back in 1996. At least I think it was '96? Today she still stands strong. Deserves a merit award for all those years of service to my maiden name.

Since then, I've acquired two very sweet "parents-in-law". From Day One, they have welcomed me with open arms and loving hearts... and promptly added me to their birthday and christmas gift lists. No concerns there.

Following right on their tail were the "brothers-and-sisters-in-law". Together, we're a pretty diversified mix. Some of us are not particularly close due to distance, others due to personality. Happens, I guess. But we're part of the Tribe, just the same.

Then, almost three years ago, I experienced a new encounter on the "in-laws" front. Enter the realm of "daughters-in-law". I currently have two. And how pleased I am that this dynamic has added more ladies to our once predominantly male environment.

But not only do I appreciate that they are wonderful wives to our boys, but I also appreciate that they've embraced me, the formidable "mother-in-law", just the way that I am. You know... a little wrinkled, a little over-sized, a little salted-and-peppered. Also, admittedly, a little woo-hoo. Oh, how I love them. They are THE BEST.

And come August, I'm going to have a third "daughter-in-law".

Since the families hadn't yet met, last week was slotted to be the official introduction to this newest "daughter-in-law's" clique. The plan was to rendezvous at a restaurant where we would enjoy some Chinese cuisine.

No spuds on the menu?
Wooden stick utensils?
Uh-oh.
Would this Irish lass endure?!

In hindsight, I think all of us "in-laws" melded quite well with each other. In between courses, which were plentiful, we were laughing light-heartedly and sharing life's experiences. Or at least trying to remember them!

The Royal Couple of the hour.

No, she is not picking her nose with the chopsticks.
Although I wish maybe that's what she WAS doing.
Instead, she was sucking on a fish eye.
Yuck. I know.

Rabbit Ear humour.

Perfect spot for Chris to keep him far away from trouble.
But obviously not far enough away from HIS crab leg platter.
Watch him walk sideways at the wedding.

I think this is why THIS daughter-in-law fits in so well with our family.
She obviously shares the same genetic strain as the littlest sister.

They are normal, honest. Hard to believe, I know, but here's the picture proof.

Faces of happiness. Aging faces perhaps, but the happiness doesn't diminish.

I don't speak Mandarin, but "Peking Duck" is definitely my new phrase. And my absolutest favorite Chinese dish. What a feast we had. Yum.




And I should add, that despite the omission of all of "Yer Woman's" staple ingredients, she survived just fine.

No comments: