Saturday, June 4, 2011

Me. And Strong Will.

"The Strong-Willed Child" by Dr James Dobson. Have you read it? I've read it. Twice, actually. "Parenting the Strong-Willed Child". Read that one too.

Maybe I should try "Screamfree Parenting", by Hal Runkel, whoever he is.

Fact is, despite exhausting the respected approaches recommended in Dobson's publications, my strong-willed child still possesses her strong will. Always has. Always will. The technique I'm attempting to teach her is not how to get rid of it, but how to recognize it.

No easy task. An endless supply of love, time and discipline required. And some days, I feel like we've arrived... right back at Square One.

Definitely today's sentiments. Argh.

So I finally took refuge in my bedroom from this raging storm of emotion. It was then, in the calm and quiet, when that obstinate child had obviously reconsidered her actions, that the pencilled note was gingerly slipped under my door...

"To Mom. I am very sorry. Will you forgive me? (Please write back on the paper)."


Oh, I had just experienced some very raw moments of anger, yes. I was annoyed, frustrated. Utterly exhausted, striving through this battle of the wills.

But parenting has an uncanny way of reminding me what I really am.

My strong-willed child. Banished to her room, she recognized her error and pleaded for pardon.

Wasn't that how I came to God, a sinful creature, just as I was, simply asking for His forgiveness? Realizing that He sent His Only Son to suffer and die for my sins?

Thank the Lord that I know my sins have been eternally forgiven! But that sinful nature of mine continually reminds me of what I really am, and daily drops me to my knees, confessing my waywardness. Yet my heavenly Father, ever patient and longsuffering, is always waiting with open arms, ready and willing to forgive.

So I closed my eyes and in the quiet of my room, confessed anew my sin of anger and frustration. Oh the peace of resting in His forgiveness! And I thanked Him too, for a repentant strong-willed child.

"So, yes, my precious daughter, I will always forgive you. Will always love you. For I have been eternally forgiven of SO much, by One who loves me with an everlasting love."

Lord, please help me to always love and forgive my little strong-willed charges.
Please supply me with ample parenting wisdom.
And patience. I'll be needing lots of that. Please.
Amen.

5 comments:

Emily said...

What a beautiful reminder of both my need to forgive and be forgiven! Thanks for the great post, once again.

Gwen said...

I've learned a few things from my strong willed child, one of them being, 'No matter how strong you are, my little girl, I WILL be stronger. I have to be, whether I want to be or not. Because if you win over Mom we're both going to lose out.' It's not easy or fun but thank God for wisdom & grace given, moment by moment.

Vicki said...

Oh Suse. I wish I could have a coffee with you. I never had a really strong-willed child, but I have a couple of teenagers, and that is giving me lots of prayerful moments. I just worry how everything will end up. Try to remember that despite the anger and frustration, you're teaching them things that they eventually WILL come to understand was for their good. :) love ya.

Susanne said...

Thanks Vickster! The Lord knows I could only handle ONE strong-willed little person! Probably just His way of reminding me to always depend on HIM to get through every challenge. Neither of my two are teenagers yet, but I'm very prayerful about those years ahead. Love ya too. SUSE

Carolyn said...

Just adding an AMEN to your thoughts :)