Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Lannie. Livin'. Life.

Samuel Hearne. Early English explorer of our North American lands.

Hadn't heard much about him myself, but was enlightened a few weeks ago.

My fourth-grader had to research this delightful character, then dress in period costume and give a first-person presentation to her class.

She did awesome. Shared some vivid details of the harrowing sea voyage. Dug some ancient treasures out of that dilapidated portmanteau. I'd say she almost passed for Samuel Hearne himself.

That same evening was the Violin Recital.

Similar concept. Dress up. Present to the group.

No cross-dressing this time.

And the group consisted of some 40-50 people that were total strangers. Only person she knew was her lovely violin teacher. But she did it... played her solo, and then the melody for two subsequent pieces.


When I was her age, believe it or not, I was incredibly shy. Presenting and performing in front of an audience at nine years old? Not me. No way.

But she embraces the challenge.
A little pre-hyperventilation and nervousness.
Yet she overcomes it.
Gets up there.
Does her thing.

Guess maybe that "strong will" is good for somethin'.

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

I didnt know Lannie was taking violin - thats wonderful. We have high hopes for our boy to start lessons early.