Thursday, February 2, 2012

GO Canada!

We were there.

Cheering with the 23,000-strong crowd at BC Place. Watching as the Canadian Women's Soccer team set out to see if they could earn a place at the 2012 Olympics in London this summer.


If you know me at all, you'll know that I have no particular fondness for womens soccer. Nor any soccer for that matter. But the evening entertained me just the same.


Knee socks and cleats. Showin' the love.


 
My little ladies got right into the Canadian spirit.


As did my soccer-lovin' better half. He's such a sport.



The Canadian goalkeeper was a sight to behold. Her red hair may have been fake, but her fierce antics on the field were real. She's dominant. Powerfully so. Let's just say I wouldn't want to cross her in the locker room. Not that I'd ever be in the locker room. But you know what I'm sayin'.


The Mexican fans filled about a quarter of the stadium, but they definitely made more than their numbers in noise. One section of the green team close by us were extra loud and boisterous. Whether they'd been drinking a little too much Mezcal or whether that's how they typically root for their soccer team, don't know. Ole, ole, ole, ole! Sombreros and baile. Amazing patriotism.

Although I still don't know what "ole" means.


I was rootin' for Canada. And Canada won.
And I'm Canadian.
That, in itself, was pretty exciting.
They're goin' to London!


And here's a couple of wearies, riding home on the Skytrain.



No comments: