Friday, January 20, 2012

Sub Zero.

It's frigid here, where I live. Been Sub-Zero temperatures, all week.

It's certainly been a long while since I experienced -10 degrees. Almost forgotten the feeling. Your lungs somersault at the intake of icy cold air. Neglect to wear gloves, and your extremities will feel the skin-sting. Permanently chapped lips.

I remember a few times being in -25 to -30 temperatures.

The good, old Toronto days. I remember walking to catch the bus early in the morning, wrapped up in my Canadian winter garb. I remember washing my hair in the shower, one particularly icy morning, and neglecting to blow-dry it before making the aforementioned trek.

And my aunt. I vividly remember her.

Watching in sheer disbelief, as this crazy Irish immigrant ventured out of her house into the Sub-Zero, with dripping wet hair. "Your hair'll freeze!" she told me.

Boy, was she was right. My hair completely froze. It was an interesting concept, though. You could bend it this way and that, creating your own zig-zag do.

That morning, I also remember feeling dreadfully chilled. Partly because of the Sub-Zero. But mostly because... well, let's just say that I never opted for the zig-zag do again.

We got another skiff of snow here, last night. Just enough to warrant an official "Snow Day" from school. Hey, I'm happy to have an unscheduled day off, anytime.

Our local temperatures are forecasted to change tomorrow. Rise above the big 0. Bye-bye Sub-Zero. Those white, fluffy flurries will turn to wet, windy showers.

Just a simple, rainy reminder that I live in Vancouver.

1 comment:

Emily said...

I remember when I moved from California to Washington State for college and left the dorm with dripping wet hair in the winter. I NEVER thought it would freeze like that! I should have tried the "zig-zag do"! :)