Sunday, October 2, 2011

Randomness.

Bye bye Potato Bread. Fried up the last of it this week.


Savored every last bite. Now I need to find a local supplier where I can buy more of this stuff. I've decided I can't live without it.

Out of the blue this week, Miss Kayleigh informed me that only normal people can have their ears pierced. Jolted into focus, I quickly processed this brand new set of facts, wondering just where this conversation was going to end up. Asking her what she meant exactly, she replied, "Well, Mom, not everyone has earlobes." Stifling a grin, I said, "Oh. OK. Not everyone has earlobes?" With an ounce of disgust, she answered, "Mom, don't you ever look at some peoples' ears? Their lobes just go right into their heads." I must admit that right then, I did my very own personal "lobe" check. I think I'm normal. Did you check yours??!!

Refurbishing of Miss Alana's room is still ongoing. Out with the bunk beds, in with the queen. Et bienvenue, la salle pourpre.


I think my camera must've been out in the rain. Splatters all over the lens. Oops, sorry 'bout that. Will clean before the next picture upload!

Our apple trees are now nearly bare... all the juicy fruit has been plucked and transformed to various frozen states... apple sauce, apple slices, apple muffins... all safely stowed away in the deep-freeze for future reference. But here's a new recipe I stumbled on and tweaked a little... Harvest Apple Strudel. Been made several times around here. Totally yum. What you need:


Roll the Pillsbury into a rectangle, by simply pinching the seams together. Piece of cake. Piece of dough, actually.


Mix 1 tablespoon of the lemon jello powder with 1/2 cup cream cheese and spread down the middle of the dough. Then slice the dough into 1-inch diagonals, like this.


Peel and chop the apples. Mix with 1 tablespoon of lemon jello powder, 1 teaspoon of cornstarch, and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon. Layer on top of the cream cheese.


Fold the dough into the centre to form a braid. Brush egg white over the dough and sprinkle with 1/4 cup sliced almonds.


Bake at 375 for about 25-30 minutes, until crisp and golden.

Dollop on some ice cream, et voila!


Bon appetit!

2 comments:

Emily said...

That strudel looks lovely. I've been waiting to see what you came up with for apple recipes. I hope to pick some soon!

vicki said...

Invite me over for coffee and I'll help you eat it. :)