Friday, August 20, 2010

The greatest of these is... LOVE.

First Corinthians 13 is widely known as the Bible chapter of love. But reading the verses again this morning drew fresh thoughts and new challenges.

It is quite interesting to note that the word is mentioned a total of nine times throughout the thirteen verses that make up the whole chapter.

So what then, is this "charity"?

Here are 7 positives and 7 negatives.

Love IS:
  1. LONGSUFFERING. Am I always patient, and quietly waiting on the Lord?
  2. KIND. Am I always caring and thoughtful, considering others before myself?
  3. REJOICES IN TRUTH. Am I always honest, and happy to be?
  4. BEARS. Am I always tolerant and forgiving?
  5. BELIEVES. Am I always faithful to my God and His word?
  6. HOPES. Am I always positive, even when life is disappointing?
  7. ENDURES. Am I always persistant and diligent in my daily christian walk?
Love IS NOT:
  1. ENVIOUS. No room for jealousy or resentment.
  2. PROUD. No room for self-exultation or conceit.
  3. ARROGANT. No room for disrespect or bad manners.
  4. SELF-SEEKING. No room for ego or selfishness.
  5. EASILY PROVOKED. No room for anger or bad tempers.
  6. EVIL. No room for sin.
  7. REJOICES IN INIQUITY. No room for revenge or retaliation.
And so, challenging my heart this morning, how do I measure up? Is my life a sweet-smelling savour in the presence of the Lord, or is He too often deafened by the clanging symbol and the noisy gong?

I fail. Many times over. And so I pray that the Lord will FILL me with this charity. That my life for Him will be so taken up with what LOVE IS, that there will be absolutely no room for what LOVE IS NOT.

1 comment:

Janna said...

Thanks for breaking up the the positives and negatives the way you did... it's a little bit of a solemn wake-up call!
hugs x0x