Thursday, May 19, 2016

Irreplaceable Loss.

Interesting how sometimes experiences are sent your way, causing you to suddenly complain less and appreciate more.

Lately all of our kitchen appliances have been showing signs of wear and tear, breaking down bit by bit, with the microwave finally giving out a couple of weeks ago. Yes, I've been frustrated. And bemoaning the timing - that replacements had to be purchased right on the tail of planning a summer vacation AND deciding on braces. Then this week I received a text early Wednesday morning, asking that I be present at work for an important staff meeting at 8:00am. 

It was a shocking announcement. A co-worker has passed away unexpectedly, only hours before. She had taught my oldest Science last year, and was currently teaching my youngest. She had just turned 50 years old. Numb at the news, we strove to hold it together for the many students so affected by her sudden absence. But it was a hard, hard day. We lost a great friend and a gifted colleague. Our students lost a teacher with a willing and loving heart, who worked daily to make them better young men and women. 

School Administration dealt with the situation so sensitively and graciously. They postponed classes where possible, and opened counselling rooms in each school building. They allowed students to gather in the teacher's classroom, where they could pause and remember, visit and grieve. Together, staff and students hugged and shared, wept and prayed.

While our school has suffered a great loss, it does not compare to that of the family. Their loss is irreplaceable. A widowed husband. Two motherless sons, one of whom will surely miss having his mom stand by his side next month, when he graduates from Grade 12. Heartbreaking.

Today, the family's words, in the midst of such grief and pain, were these:

"We are trusting God who works all things for good. He is compassionate and merciful.”

So today, I'm truly thankful for everything I have. Firstly, for my Heavenly Father, Whose compassions are new every morning. On both good days and bad. For my husband, my kids, my home. For my friends. For my job, and the amazing staff I am blessed to work with every day. For all the big things, and the little things too.

Even thankful for those half-broken appliances.

2 comments:

Anne said...

This coworker of yours attended the same church that we do and we were equally shocked and saddened to hear this news. She was such a help at the church as were her husband and boys too. Just quietly doing whatever they could with no accolades or public praise desired. Her youngest son was a leader in my son's Sunday School class and is such a sweet gentle boy. My heart is aching for this family and I'm praying for peace and comfort for all who are feeling this loss so strongly.

Susanne said...

So sorry, Anne... devastating sadness all around. Was thinking of your group this morning, gathering for morning service, with broken hearts. Praying for comfort too.