Friday, August 23, 2013

@Menchies.

Yesterday was date day with Miss Lannie. We dined at the latest and greatest in frozen yogurt hang-outs. Where you pour and scoop your own concoction. Then they weigh, and you pay.

  
I love this girl. Love our bonding times together. Glad we make the time to talk. Catch up. Share. Solve all the world's problems. ;) Of course, there's usually a little counselling-from-mama thrown into the conversation at some point, too!

She's growing up. Have to pinch myself sometimes when I realize just how much, and how fast. At the beginning of summer she was a mere ONE inch shorter than me in height. I haven't succumbed to the end-of-summer measurement yet, and I'm not sure if I even want to keep you posted on that!

She's much smarter than I was at her age, although I've yet to admit that to her. Actually, it's probably a good idea to hold off on that piece of information. Until it becomes obvious, at least. Which might just be sooner than I think.

She can be impatient. Notions that spring into her little head demand to be accomplished without delay. Well, I guess on that one, the apple doesn't fall very far from the tree.

She's analytical. Always wanting to know more than she should. Questioning all the whys and the wherefores. Which makes her quite confident when it comes to drawing her own conclusions.

She's funny. Sarcastic for the most part, but I guess the majority relate to that type of humour. She drops random lines out of no-where that crack me up. She's pretty up on the latest slang, and will remind me it's bestie not friend, nice ride not nice car. And peace out, definitely not cheerio.

She's stubborn. Same apple same tree, unfortunately, although I'd take the liberty of saying I'm the softer Gala type and she's the Granny Smith. When she was a toddler, I read and re-read Dobson on "The Strong-Willed Child". Probably worried and fretted more than I should have, but you can never correct or rein-in too much. That stubborn streak will always be a part of her personality, yet it's different from a few years ago. Maybe a little more cultivated. Oh, she's still opinionated, yes, but she's learning to listen, and respect the choices of others. Just don't count on her always agreeing with you!

She has a big heart. Loves little people. It delights me to watch her being so kind and gentle with them. Definitely a lot of inbred maternal instincts going on there.

She talks a lot about growing up. As in... learning to drive, where she'll go when she graduates, what she'll do eventually. Like all 12-year-olds, she can't get there fast enough. I know the teen years will come and go far too quickly, so I just want to savour my moments with her. Enjoy her being the blessing that she is. Watch her grow. Help her make wise choices.

Pray for her every single day. And entrust the rest to the Lord, to work His will in her life.

No comments: