Saturday, October 23, 2010

Faith.

I've been looking at the subject of "faith" with a little more interest these days, since having decided to study Hebrews 11 with my Sunday School class.

FAITH. What is it? Often explained with the acronym, "forsaking all I trust Him", and an appropriate definition that is, too.

What was Abel's faith? He trusted God with obedience in offering the best from his flock, disregarding his brother's idea of a sacrifice.

What was Enoch's faith? He trusted God day by day, making communion with Him, and not others, his priority.

What was Noah's faith? He trusted God by building the ark and believing God, that he and his family would be saved from a destruction that had never before been seen on the earth.

Abraham also displayed all three of these faith attributes: obedience, communion and believing God despite the unseen.

But this is the thought that has struck me this week.

Old Testament faith is not described by SEEING God's promises fulfilled, but by simply BELIEVING that God will fulfill His promises.

Abel never lived to see the man who was offered as the One Sacrifice for sins for ever.

Abraham never lived to see the innumerable descendants from his seed that were promised to him.

What about me. Am I taken up with the things of time, and living for reward and fulfillment in this life? Or do I look for the heavenly city, as Abraham did? Am I waiting, in keen anticipation of the promise of His coming, knowing that, when I see Him, I shall be like Him, and be with Him for all eternity?

What a day that will be, when my Jesus I shall see,
When I look upon His face, the One who saved me by His grace;
When He takes me by the hand and leads me to the promised land;
What a day, glorious day, that will be!

No comments: